Monday, May 24, 2021

First time seeing Carly and the kiddos since February 2020

 

Link to individual photos.

By time we left Pittsburgh, Nathan and I were covered in princess and Pokémon stickers and tattoos, thanks to the loving ministrations of our beloved grandchildren.  

Six-year-old Edward had decided that, in his words: “My new name is Nana Lisa Grandpa Nathan Buck.” 

Edward and I made two books together; this was his idea. He brought in paper, folded it in half and stapled the fold.  At his direction, Edward and I illustrated each page with the habitat of his Pokémon stickers (land, water, sky) and then took turns carefully placing 3 or 4 Pokémon stickers on each page. 

We included illustrations of some of their powers (freeze rays, fire, Zzzzz for putting others to sleep). Edward then dictated, and I scribed, some somewhat repetitive dialogue between the characters:

- Character 1: I’m gonna get you.  
- Character 2: Aghhhhhhhhhh!

- Character 1: I’m gonna freeze you.  
- Character 2: Aghhhhhhhhhh!

- Character 1: I’m gonna poison you. 
- Character 2: Aghhhhhhhhhh!

- Character 1: I’m gonna burn you.  
- Character 2: Aghhhhhhhhhh!

Edward had me title both of the books: “Nana Lisa and Edward’s book.”  He had his mom read them multiple times, me read them, Nathan read them and before bedtime, he chose them as his bedtime story.

Four-year-old Fran’s penchant was for princesses. She followed Edward’s example and made a book. Her cute little voice is an adorable result of previous tonsil and adenoid removal. She’s been going to speech therapy to help with pronunciation.

Two-year-old William’s contributions were cuteness, lots of exploratory energy - and maybe a bit of pee.

No comments: