Friday, October 23, 2020

When the helium runs low in your personal balloon

I remember being a child after a birthday party, watching as the helium balloons began to sink. They would drift down, closer and closer to the floor, and I would tap them to try to keep them up in the air. 

Coping in the midst of COVID can sometimes feel like being one of those balloons. I want to keep my heart strong, my energy level high and be my best self for other people. 

This week, I received a message of encouragement from someone I appreciate and trust. She said, “Lisa, in the midst of an international pandemic, it’s okay if your balloon isn’t floating all the time. It’s okay to have moments of discouragement. The year 2020 has been exhausting.”

Just receiving permission from her that it’s okay to struggle was like a dose of helium that raised my spirits. Sending hugs to others who might be struggling in the same way. My balloon might sink once in a while, but it hasn’t popped yet --  so my focus will continue to remain on moving: “Upward and Onward.”


No comments: