Thursday, December 23, 2010
Covenant House was founded 38 years ago with the mission to help homeless teens and young adults get off the street and into productive lives.
They serve as a refuge to:
- young people who are running from abuse at home
- youth who've been kicked out of the house (often because of their sexual orientation)
- young people who "age out" of the foster care system at age 18 and face the adult world alone.
- Shelter, including a transitional housing program
- Access to medical care
- Coaching in basic life skills
- Opportunities to finish high school
- Resources for job skill development
Covenant House's Transitional Housing Program: Youth pay rent to Covenant House for their apartment, and after 12-18 months when they graduate from the program, they are given ALL of their rent to help them to put a deposit on an apartment and set up a household.