The latest research demonstrates that even when states extend foster care supports to 21, there are still barriers to housing:
Findings Regarding Housing Options for Young Adults in States That Have Extended Foster Care Supports to Age 21
- Housing program is at capacity.
- Housing program is not eligible to serve young adults in extended foster care.
- Housing program does not receive child welfare funding.
- Young adult does not meet the program's eligibility criteria.
- Caseworker did not inform youth about or refer young adults to the program.
- Young adult was referred to but not selected by the program.
- Licensing or other regulations limit potential housing options.