Wednesday, July 15, 2020

#FosterYouthtoIndependenceMonth (Part 2)



It makes my heart incredibly happy to know that my hometown of Lexington has received Foster Youth to Independence vouchers to support the success of former foster youth who are at risk of homelessness, and that 12 former foster youth have been housed so far...

This is the city where I was born, where I experienced homelessness after foster care, and where I ultimately attained my Bachelors and Masters degrees before moving to Ohio.

There are so many layers of what this means to me, including:
  • that youth voice matters
  • that all of the staff at HUD are amazing, including the always on the move and making a difference Chris Patterson
  • that Ruth Anne White and the National Center for Housing and Child Welfare never tire
  • that my younger brothers and sisters in Lexington KY who are transitioning from foster care to adulthood won't have to experience homelessness and that their journey will be supported

No comments: