Wednesday, July 06, 2011
According to the CLASP fact sheet Yesterday's Nontraditional Student is Today's Traditional Student:
- 47% of undergraduates are independent students
- Nearly a quarter of students are parents, and more than one in eight students are single parents
- 63% of community college students would be unable to attend college if they did not work
- Between 2008 and 2018 demand for college-educated workers will rise by 16 percent while demand for other workers will stay flat.
- Demand for college-educated workers in nearly half of the states will grow 2 to 3 times faster than demand for high school graduates or dropouts. In six states (IN, MA, ME, MI, MN and OH), jobs that require a college education will grow 5-7 times faster.
- By 2018, nearly two-thirds of the nation’s jobs will require some postsecondary education or training.
- Over the next decade there will be no national growth in the number of high school graduates.
- Thirteen states (AK, HI, IL, MA, ME, MD, MS, MO, MT, NH, OH, PA, and WV) will have 5 to 10 percent fewer high school graduates in 2020.
Labels: higher education